Timeline of the museum history
Timeline created in 2018.
The establishment of the Learned Society of the Vavrinec Čaplovič’s Library Lovers1839
After the private collection of books and other historical artefacts was donated to the County of Orava by the scholar Vavrinec Čaplovič, the Learned Society of the Vavrinec Čaplovič’s Library Lovers was established. The primary focus of the society was a public education, financial support of the library and enlarging its vast collection. The society was in operation until 1858.
Count Edmund Zichy named the director of the Orava Compossessorate1862
Count Edmund Zichy was named the director of the Orava Compossessorate and initiated the overall re-organisation of its structure and operation. The execution of the changes was in the hands of the Orava Compossessorate forest governor Wiliam Rowland who also trained the new employees. Rowland was known to use various teaching aids, such as mounted local animals or wooden models of the technical devices and architectural objects in the possession of the Compossessorate. Legal agenda was entrusted to the future archivist Mikuláš Kubínyi.
Idea of a museum1867
Wiliam Rowland was presenting his wooden models during an agricultural exhibition in Budapest when the idea of a museum presenting the natural and historical heritage of the Orava region appeared.More information
Museum of the County of Orava at Orava Castle1868
The Museum of the County of Orava, later the Museum of the Orava Compossessorate, was opened at Orava Castle in 1868, supported by its patron Count Edmund Zichy. Prepared by Wiliam Rowland, Jozef Guber and Anton Kocyan, the museum’s first collections were predominantly composed of the exhibits from zoology and botany, various working tools and wooden models of the technical equipment. Original furniture and artworks transported from the manor house in Veličná, numismatic and armoury collections and the Chapel of St. Michael were also part of the exhibition. Later, various exhibits from the fields of history and ethnography were being added to the collection.
Joseph Pálffy named the director of the Orava Compossessorate1906
The new director of the Orava Compossessorate Joseph Pálffy initiated the Romantic restoration of the Orava Castle’s Corvinus Palace in order to introduce the life of the medieval noble society. The interiors of the palace were filled with the furniture resembling period furnishing.
Čaplovič’s Library in Dolný Kubín1911
The collections of the Čaplovič’s Library were transported to the new building on the main square in Dolný Kubín (Hviezdoslavovo námestie 7)
THE FIRST WORLD WAR1914 - 1918
The outbreak of the First World War halted the restoration works of Orava Castle. The operation of the museum also stopped.
Call for restoration of the museum activity1924
The call for restoration of museums in Orava and saving of their valuable historical, ethnographical, natural and archive collections, was published in Orava weekly by Pavol Florek. This triggered the gathering of the collections in the Čaplovič Library.
Orava Museum Association in Dolný Kubín1925
The supporters of the museum restoration gathered in Oravský Podzámok and established the Orava Museum Association in Dolný Kubín. Mikuláš Kubínyi was named the honorary chairman, Štefan Haluška the chairman, Pavol Florek was established the secretary and Ján Smetana the custodian. The articles of the association were approved in 1927. However, after Pavol Florek left the region, activities of the association were gradually being muted until they were completely stopped with the outbreak of the Second World War.
Literary collections in Orava1932
After the widow of the poet Pavol Országh Hviezdoslav died, several personal possessions of the author were moved to the Čaplovič’s Library. This marked the beginning of literary museums in the region.
THE SECOND WORLD WAR1939 - 1945
The dissolution of the Orava Compossessorate1945
After the end of the Second World War, the Orava Compossessorate was dissolved and its property was passed to the Czechoslovak State Forests, including Orava Castle and the museum.
Pavol Čaplovič named the director of the new museum1953
The new national history museum was founded at Orava Castle, with Pavol Čaplovič named its director. In the same year, the works of the general restoration of Orava Castle started.
Literary Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav1954
On November 13, 1954, the day of the 33rd anniversary of Pavol Országh Hviezdoslav’s funeral, the new Literary Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav was opened in the building of the Čaplovič’s Library. Vladimír Čaplovič was named the outside director of the museum, later replaced by the niece of Hviezdoslav’s wife Elena Hegerová-Nováková. The library collections were moved to the second floor of the building.
Orava National History Museum1954
The District National Committee (ONV) in Dolný Kubín renamed the museum at the castle the Orava National History Museum, administered by the Department of Culture of the ONV in Dolný Kubín.
Opening of the renewed castle1968
On the 100th anniversary of the establishment of the first museum, the restored Orava Castle with its new exhibition was officially opened to the public.
New exhibition in Zuberec1975
The Museum of Orava Village in Zuberec-Brestová, presenting the traditional way of living in the region, was opened in 1975.More information
New exhibition in Oravská Polhora1979
The new exhibition of the Literary Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav was opened in the Forester’s House under the Babia Hora Mountain. It was dedicated to the literary work ‘Forester’s Wife’ by P. O. Hviezdoslav, its origins, the natural surroundings that inspired the work and reflections in other forms of art, from drama and film to painting.
Peter Škrabák named the director of the museum1980
On January 1, 1980, the Literary Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav in Dolný Kubín merged with the Orava National History Museum in Oravský Podzámok and the Orava Museum in Dolný Kubín was created. Peter Škrabák, former director of the literary museum, was named the director of the newly founded museum. The previous director of the former national history museum Pavol Čaplovič retired in 1979.
Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav1983
From the decision of the District National Committee, the name of the museum was changed to Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav in Dolný Kubín. This name is being used up to this day.
New exhibition in Jasenová1983
In 1983, the Martin Kukučín Memorial House in Jasenová was passed to the administration of the Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav. The house, built in 1856, presents the time and place where the important figure of the Slovak literature was born.
Peter Huba named the director of the museum1985
After Peter Škrabák left, the historian Peter Huba was named the new director of the Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav.
New exhibition in Oravský Podzámok1985
In the year of the 40th anniversary of the liberation of Czechoslovakia and the 40th anniversary of the outbreak of the Slovak National Uprising, the new exhibition “Revolutionary traditions of the people of Orava” was opened in the newly reconstructed Renaissance building number 9 in Oravský Podzámok. Prior to that, the building was used by the Orava Gallery. The exhibition – that was closed in the 90s – had three parts, dealing with the history of the region during the feudalist, capitalist and socialist era.
Orava Forest Railway in Oravská Lesná1988
The Orava Forest Railway in Oravská Lesná was passed to the administration of the Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav which intended to restore the railway and prepare a new exhibition dedicated to timber transport.
Orava Museum in administration of the Ministry of Culture1990
The Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav was passed to the administration of the Ministry of Culture of the Slovak Republic.
Museum of Orava Village administered by the town of Zuberec1991
Approved by the Ministry of Culture, the Museum of Orava Village in Zuberec was separated from the Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav and passed to the administration of the town of Zuberec, based on a request from the Zuberec Municipal Office. Since then, the Museum of Orava Village is in operation of the town of Zuberec, whereas the exhibits, collections and the object of the Yeoman House remained administered by the Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav.
Dušan Karaska as a director of the museum1992
RNDr. Dušan Karaska was named the new director of the Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav.
Registered office of the museum in Oravský Podzámok1993
The registered office of the Orava Museum was changed to the town of Oravský Podzámok.
Since 1996, the Orava Museum administers the dyer house in Dolný Kubín. The house belonged to the poet, publicist, diplomat and public educator Teodor Herkeľ Florin between the years 1953 – 1973. The object has been therefore named the Florin’s House and is currently used for temporary exhibitions of the museum.More information
Orava Cultural Centre1996
In this year, the Orava Cultural Centre was established. Its aim was to operate cultural institutions in the region, including the Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav, Orava Gallery, Orava Library, Orava Centre of Public Education and the newly established Orava Musical Cabinet. RNDr. Dušan Karaska was named the intendant of the centre by the Ministry of Culture. The Orava Cultural Centre was operated by the Regional Office in Žilina, and contributed to the network of cultural centres created all over the republic.
Orava Museum operated by the Žilina Self-Governing Region2002
Since 2002, the Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav is operated by the Žilina Self-Governing Region. The registered office of the museum was changed back to Dolný Kubín.
Mária Jagnešáková named the director of the museum2003
PaedDr. Mária Jagnešáková became the new director of the Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav.
Restoration of the Chapel of St. Michael2003
The restoration works of Orava Castle’s Chapel of St. Michael were started.
New era of the Orava Forest Railway2005
Financial resources for the revitalization of the Orava Forest Railway were obtained from the EU project “Realising the potential of Upper Orava in tourism by revitalization of the Orava – Kysuce Forest Railway connecting the regions of Orava and Northern Považie”. The restoration was finished in 2007.
Chapel of St. Michael named the “Cultural Monument of the Year”2006
After the finishing of the restoration, the Chapel of St. Michael was awarded with the “Cultural Monument of the Year” prize in the “Restoration of Movable or Immovable National Cultural Monument” category.More information
New face of the Middle Castle2007
The new Natural History Exhibition and the first part of the Ethnographical Exhibition were opened in the Orava Castle’s Middle Castle.
Orava Forest Railway back in operation2008
In the year of the 90th anniversary of the railway construction, the Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav opened the newly restored track of the Orava Forest Railway between the Tanečník Station and the Beskyd Saddle. In the premises of the Tanečník Station, a children playground and the new exhibition dedicated to the history of the railway and timber transport were also opened.
New exhibition in Dolný Kubín2009
In the year of the 170th anniversary of the establishment of the Čaplovič’s Library, the new exhibition dedicated to the unique collection of Vavrinec Čaplovič from Jasenová was opened. The exhibition was installed right in the library building and it aimed to introduce the most valuable books in all the fields represented in the collection.
Ethnographical Exhibition officially completed2009
The Orava Museum officially opened the whole Ethnographical Exhibition in the rooms of the Palace of John of Dubovec at Orava Castle. The new part of the exhibition was dedicated to the Orava yeomanry, whereas the last room was set as a multifunctional room for temporary exhibitions.
Martin Kukučín Memorial House restored2010
The Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav officially opened the restored Martin Kukučín Memorial House in Jasenová, including the new exhibition in its interiors.
“Gontkulák” steam locomotive back on track2011
The “Gontkulák” steam locomotive that was regularly used in the inter-war period, was restored and put back to operation on the tracks of the Orava Forest Railway.
Orava Castle’s Citadel introducing the history of the region2012
The new Archeologic Exhibition was installed in the Citadel of Orava Castle. The two-part exhibition chronologically presents artefacts from the Stone Age to the 13th century, the archeologic research of the castle itself and the results of the general restoration works.
Permanent exhibition dedicated to Milo Urban2012
On the 30th anniversary of the death of the writer Milo Urban, the Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav prepared a permanent exhibition dedicated to the life and work of the author. The exhibition is a follow-up to a temporary exhibition in the area of the Forester’s House in Oravská Polhora.
New exhibition in Oravská Lesná2013
As a result of the EU project “Gorals of yesterday and today”, the Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav opened the new exhibition in the Goral Wooden Cottage at the Beskyd Saddle. The wooden log cottage represents the value of the folk architecture and everyday life of the Goral culture.
Mediateka at the Orava Castle2015
The new exhibition Mediateka (Media Library) was opened in the Orava Castle’s Citadel. The exhibition, stylized as a film coil, presents films and series produced at Orava Castle up to the year 2014. Its primary focus is the cult horror film Nosferatu: A Symphony of Horror from 1922.
Treasury of Orava Castle30. apríl 2016
In the newly restored interiors of the Thurzo Palace’s ground floor, the new exhibition Treasury of Orava Castle was publicly opened. The exhibition presents some of the most valuable objects of the museum’s collection, including the valuable burial gowns from the 17th century or the Renaissance golden ring.More information
New exhibition in Zuberec2017
In the rooms of the Yeoman House in the Museum of Orava Village in Zuberec-Brestová, the Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav opened the new exhibition Orava Yeomanry, dedicated to the lives of yeoman families in the Orava region.