Literary Exhibition of Pavol Országh Hviezdoslav
On November 13, 1954, the day of the 33rd anniversary of Pavol Országh Hviezdoslav’s funeral, the Literary Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav was opened in the historical building of the Čaplovič’s Library. Right in front of the library, located on the main Hviezdoslav Square in Dolný Kubín, the house in which the author lived during his stay in Dolný Kubín, is still standing.
The Literary Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav was merged with the Orava National History Museum and in 1980, the Orava Museum of P. O. Hviezdoslav was created, with the Literary Exhibition of P. O. Hviezdoslav being under its administration since then.
The three-room exhibition focuses on the life and work of one of the greatest Slovak Realist epic-lyrical authors from the turn of the 19th and the 20th century – the poet, playwright, translator and advocate Pavol Országh Hviezdoslav (born February 2, 1849 in Vyšný Kubín – died November 8, 1921 in Dolný Kubín). The highlight of the exhibition is Hviezdoslav’s study room and personal saloon with clothes, gifts for personal jubilees and other personal possessions. These are accompanied by various written materials, period furniture and art, including the art protis pieces by the painter Eva Trizuljaková, inspired by Hviezdoslav’s lyrical cycle ‘Bloody Sonnets’.
Right in front of the building, a monumental bronze statue of P. O. Hviezdoslav by the sculptor Fraňo Štefunka, dominates. Four blocks with relief writings from the four areas of Hviezdoslav’s body of work, are also placed by the statue.
|Tuesday - Saturday||08:00 - 16:00 h|
|Sunday||10:00 - 17:00 h|
|Monday - Friday||08:00 - 16:00 h|
|Ticket||Price||Combined admission (Literary Exhibition of P. O. Hviezdoslav + Čaplovič’s Library)|
|Children under 6||Free||Free|
|Children above 6, students, pensioners, disabled||1,00 €||1,50 €|
|Adults||2,00 €||2,50 €|
|2 adluts + 3 or more children*||6,00 €|
|+ every additional child*||Free|
* child under 15, child over 6. Valid identification card with a photo and date of birth required
- Children under 6 years of age are free of charge. Additional charges may apply in case of special ticketed events.
- Primary school and high school students under 15 years of age can apply a 50% discount. Valid travel passport or health insurance card required.
- High school and university students over 15 years of age can apply a 50% discount using valid ISIC card or a student card.
- Pensioners can apply a 50% discount either with a valid ID card or travel passport.
- Disabled visitors can apply a 50% discount. Proof of disability required.
- Carers can apply a 100% discount. Proof of caretaking required.
Want to know more about our literary exhibitions?
Sign up to our newsletter and receive all the latest news straight to your inbox.